Are you hearing scratching sounds in your attic? Chances are, you may have some uninvited guests in your home—squirrels! Squirrels can be a real nuisance, causing damage to your home and electrical wires. Not to mention, they carry diseases that can be harmful to humans and pets. In this blog post, we’ll discuss how squirrels can get into your home and how to get them out.
How squirrels get into your home
Squirrels are agile and excellent climbers, making it easy for them to access your home through small openings. They can chew through wood, siding, and even electrical wires to gain entry into your home. Here are some common ways squirrels can get into your home:
- Cracks or gaps in your roofline or siding
- Damaged or missing roof vents
- Attic vents and louvers that are not secured properly
- Chimneys that do not have a cap or have a damaged cap
- Tree limbs that overhang your roofline
Signs of squirrel infestation
If you suspect you have a squirrel infestation, here are some signs to look out for:
- Scratching sounds in your attic
- Chewed-up wood or wires
- Holes in your attic
- Insulation damage as well as footprints – especially on the duct work
How to get rid of squirrels in your home
It’s essential to get squirrels out of your home as soon as possible to avoid any further damage. Here are some tips on how to get rid of squirrels in your home:
- Identify the entry points and seal them up (known as exclusion). This will prevent more squirrels from entering your home.
- Ideally, you want to set up traps before exclusion to catch the resident population of squirrels.
- If you’re not comfortable handling the situation yourself, it’s best to call a wildlife removal professional.
Squirrels can be a real headache when they make their way into your home. It’s important to take action as soon as possible to avoid any further damage. If you suspect you have a squirrel infestation, don’t hesitate to call a professional. They have the expertise and tools needed to remove squirrels safely and humanely.
At Terminix, we know Wildlife Control
Our Wildlife Control experts will inspect your home to identify animal intruders and their entry point. Then, we will determine the most effective way to get them out of your home and as well as customize a solution to keep them from coming back. You’ll have full control of what has access to your home. Guaranteed.