Have you ever encountered a cockroach in your home? You’re not alone. Cockroaches are a common pest problem in North Carolina and Virginia. These states’ warm and humid climate make it the perfect environment for them to thrive.
Where do Cockroaches come from?
Cockroaches are one of the oldest insects on the planet and have been around for millions of years. They are found all over the world, but are most commonly found in warm, humid environments. Cockroaches are known for their ability to survive in almost any environment, which is why they can be found in both urban and rural areas.
What types of Cockroaches are Commonly Found in North Carolina and Virginia?
- American Cockroach: Also known as the “water bug,” this cockroach is reddish-brown and can grow up to 2 inches long. They are commonly found in moist areas such as basements, kitchens, and bathrooms.
- German Cockroach: This cockroach is light brown with two dark stripes on its back and is smaller than the American cockroach, only growing up to 1 inch in length. They are most commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Smoky Brown Cockroaches: These are dark brown or black in color and can grow up to 1.5 inches long and have wings – which makes them pretty good fliers. So besides commonly coming from basements and crawlspaces, they can fly into attics and find entry around plumbing, electrical and other structural penetrations. They are usually found in wooded areas, around mulch, and in the bark of trees.
- Oriental Cockroach: Also known as the “black beetle,” this cockroach is dark brown or black and can grow up to 1.25 inches long. They are commonly found in basements and crawl spaces.
Why are Cockroaches in Your House?
Cockroaches are attracted to warm, moist environments and can enter your home through small cracks and crevices. They are often brought in on items such as cardboard boxes, grocery bags, and even on clothing. Cockroaches are known to carry bacteria and allergens, which can be harmful to humans, especially those with respiratory issues.
How to Get Rid of Cockroaches?
Getting rid of cockroaches can be a daunting task, but there are several things you can do to help eliminate them from your home:
- Keep your home clean: Cockroaches are attracted to food and water, so keeping your home clean and dry can help deter them from entering your home.
- Seal all cracks and crevices (exclusion): Cockroaches can enter your home through small cracks and crevices, so sealing these areas can help keep them out.
- Store food properly: Cockroaches are attracted to food, so storing it properly in airtight containers can help deter them from entering your home.
- Call a professional: If you have a severe infestation, it may be best to call a professional pest control company like Terminix to help eliminate the problem.
Protect your home and family today and say goodbye to cockroaches with Terminix©
Cockroaches are an unpleasant and persistent household pest. Remember to keep your home clean and dry, seal up any cracks or openings, and contact Terminix for expert help. Don’t let cockroaches make themselves at home in your house. Our trained technicians will identify the source of your pest problems and develop a comprehensive treatment plan to keep your home pest-free.