Nature’s wonders often come knocking on our doors in the form of wildlife, bringing a touch of the wild into our lives. However, when these creatures start damaging our homes, it’s a different story altogether. From curious raccoons to persistent squirrels, wildlife can wreak havoc on your property. In this article, we’ll explore the kinds of wildlife that can cause damage, the common havoc they wreak, whether homeowner’s insurance covers the damages, and most importantly, how you can prevent and control these issues to keep your home safe.
Wild Invaders: Who’s Causing the Ruckus?
Our furry and feathered neighbors often venture into our living spaces, leading to a host of potential problems. Some of the common culprits include:
- Raccoons: These clever creatures can dismantle shingles, gutters, and vents as they seek shelter or food. They can also tear through insulation and wiring, posing a fire hazard.
- Squirrels: Squirrels are notorious for gnawing on wood, insulation, and electrical wires, causing structural damage and potential fire risks.
- Rodents: Mice and rats can chew through walls, wiring, and even plumbing pipes, leading to extensive damage and costly repairs.
- Birds: While they might seem harmless, birds, like starlings, can nest in vents and chimneys, blocking airflow and creating fire hazards due to accumulated debris.
- Bats: These nocturnal creatures can roost in attics, causing foul odors and potential health risks from their droppings.
The Havoc They Wreak: Common Damages
The impacts of wildlife intrusions can range from annoying to downright disastrous. Some common damages include:
- Structural Damage: Gnawing, burrowing, and nesting activities can weaken your home’s foundation, walls, and roofing.
- Electrical Issues: Chewed wires can lead to power outages and pose fire risks.
- Health Hazards: Droppings, urine, and parasites from wildlife can lead to health issues for your family.
- Energy Inefficiency: Blocked vents and damaged insulation can affect your home’s energy efficiency, leading to higher utility bills.
Insurance Coverage: Are You Protected?
The big question: Does your homeowner’s insurance cover damages caused by wildlife? In many cases, standard policies might not offer comprehensive coverage for wildlife-related damages. While some policies might cover sudden and accidental damages, gradual deterioration caused by wildlife might not be included. It’s essential to review your policy and consider additional coverage if needed.
Prevention and Control: Defending Your Home
Don’t wait until critters make themselves at home; take proactive steps to prevent and control wildlife damage:
- Seal Entry Points: Inspect your home for gaps, cracks, and openings and seal them off (exclusion) to prevent animals from getting in.
- Secure Trash Bins: Properly seal and secure your trash bins to avoid attracting wildlife looking for an easy meal.
- Trim Branches: Keep trees and bushes trimmed away from your home to prevent animals from using them as bridges.
- Install Screens: Use screens over vents, chimneys, and other openings to prevent animals from entering.
- Professional Help: If the problem persists, consider enlisting the services of wildlife control experts like Terminix, who can safely remove and prevent wildlife from causing further damage.
By understanding the potential threats, taking preventive measures, and seeking professional help when necessary, you can create a harmonious balance between your living space and the wildlife around you.
Terminix: Taking the Wild Out of Wildlife Damage
At Terminix, our Wildlife Control experts are ready to assess your situation, provide personalized recommendations, and implement effective strategies to help protect and keep your home safe from wildlife damage. With our proven expertise and comprehensive solutions, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing that your property is defended against damage and potential health risks.
Contact us to get rodents and small wildlife out for good.